Thursday, August 16, 2007

My First serves on video

Having spent most of this summer working on my serve and still not being as consistent and accurate as I'd want to be with it, I really wanted to have a look at my own serve. So, last week I went to the courts carrying the tripod and my camera, which fortunately can take a minute of footage.




Playing it back - frame by frame, revealed a bunch of stuff, which I hadn't noticed while actually doing it..
I was leaning way too far forward into the serve - the reason for that being my ball toss. My feet also seemed to move quite out of position, which I again attribute to the toss. I was quite pleased with my arm action and follow through - my racket does seem to go quite a way down my back before it bring to meet the ball. So, yeah I needed to work on my toss.

This week watching Roddick at the Cincinnati ATP Masters', I watched his toss quite closely. Thats when I noticed something - he started his toss, holding the ball to the throat of the racket; I have always been holding it at the sweet spot - the part of the racket with which I want to hit the ball. Soon I realized all the players were doing that.

Yesterday I started doing that, and most of my serves were going where I wanted them to. Very satisfying.

No comments: