Saturday, March 29, 2008

Appreciation

What motivates people?
I hope 'appreciation' made its way onto your list of things. Telling someone that they should have done something differently, might come off as hard to many. But telling you like something, when you do like it, shouldn't be that hard. But do we? Each time?

Sometimes, its just hard to say may be because we haven't being saying it enough and are simply not used to it. Sometimes, we would rather let them know without actually saying it.

One word of appreciation might lift spirits, motivate them, might just make their day, give them something to remember.

I play tennis only because I love to. I don't need to please anyone, or to be appreciated. But do I feel good, when someone walking by stops and watches? Hell yeah! I still remember the one time, when an enthu dude screamed out and pointed right at me as he walked on by, seeing a passing shot I just made.

When I get a forward that makes me laugh, or makes me think, I make sure to let the sender know that they did that.

I must admit, with family I don't make the appreciation as explicit as I could. Particularly the good food.. Not that I never, but I should more than I do. As Dr. Randy Pausch mimicked someone - 'I will fix this'.

My mom would usually would have to ask how each dish was and she would.. I think appreciation should come, without it having to be asked for.

This didn't quite hit the spot, but with enough time spent on this, I end with this:
Be sure to appreciate any good you see,
Be sure to give credit for, where it is due - Don't let it pass by.

2 comments:

popova said...

I absolutely agree..point taken.I love the way your blogs talks about the minutiae of life that we tend to take for granted - every post read is a lesson revisited!

balpeck said...

wow, gee thanks!