Thursday, March 20, 2008

A new toy

Today I got to play with a new toy - The iPod touch and boy was it fun!
It was very fascinating to see that using the new device naturally/intuitively made me want for different ways to access things on the screen, and it was even more refreshing to see that Apple had taken care of most of those needs.

The only thing that did not seem entirely intuitive and that had to be shown to me was to zoom in on a section of the screen. I was expecting to tap a section and have it zoomed rather than having to stretch the portion to be zoomed as two opposite corners of a rectangle with my fingers on the screen.

Accessing my ASU mail, gmail was a rich experience indeed. Of course these sites are tailored for mobile access, but all the same. Accessing other regular pages wasn't too shabby either. The time it took to load pages wasn't too bad. I did not play long enough to have a first hand idea of how much it hurt the battery, but it did not die on me in the one hour I was playing with it.

But for the $300 hit to my savings that it would make, it would have been mine by now. But on second thoughts, I'm almost always around my inseparable laptop, I'm happy with the iPod Shuffle I have and the phone too and I really don't mind using three different toys!

No comments: