Sunday, June 22, 2008

Play and Grab

Well this it what I call my new little player; well that and Mp3Grabber:p. A friend pointed me to the website musicbenz.com It has tons of old and new hindi mp3s and mp3s just sitting some place begging to be downloaded are just too tempting to pass on.

The thing is there isn't an easy way to selectively download these and it is too annoying to click on each link, see a file save dialog open and all that.. Sure, one could use wget, but it will download stuff without much discrimination. I have only so much disk space and sorting out mp3 later is something that never comes around. Its a good idea to filter at the source.

Well, so the only natural thing to do was to go on and create my own. I made it specific to this site, but plan to retro-fit interfaces a little later, to support just about any source.

My utility can be found here.

When it comes to writing quick utilities, I always turn to my Visual Studio 2005 IDE that has been with me through time. So, it runs on Windows and needs the Microsoft .Net v2.0 installed and yeah, Windows Media Player too.

Parag suggested I put a screenshot. So, here goes:



Features in a nutshell are:
  • Play songs off the musicbenz.com site without downloading them with an option to shuffle
  • Adding all songs in a given web folder at that site. (See the Readme first)
  • Simply hit a button to download the song
  • Up to 3 simultaneous downloads ( 3 is a magic number that just seemed right)
  • Shows the songs you have already downloaded
  • Can queue songs for download
  • Playlist and download queues are saved and restored on application start up. Download will sort of resume.
Well it works as well as I want it to.
I do find the need for a stop/pause button, but now I'm too lazy.

2 comments:

Parag said...

kewl! though i would have been able to appreciate it better, by actually using it, if it would run on !windows :P...a screenshot would help people here.

Maryann said...

Cool application.. took me a while to get it working.. with your help :P but in the end it was nice.. i got an album i wanted.. thanks! tell me if you want some suggestions to make it better :P