Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Steal those idle cycles

Yesterday, I was getting all nostalgic and watching several videos of ads, serials that used to air on TV like 20 years back. When talking about it with a friend today, what I have always wondered came back to me. Anything you want is out there. I just happen to view and collect, but for each video out there, there is someone going through a whole lot to get it, convert it into a form you tube will allow and upload it.

If you think about it, thats a lot of person-hours. People really have that much idle time with nothing to do. Yeah, I know, I am a king on that list too :P. SETI@Home is a project that is targeted at stealing the idle cycles of household computers over the internet to help analyze the several terabytes of data collected from all the space exploration being done. Imagine what good can come, if only we did that - treated people no different from computers and took away all the idle time!

No comments: